Hubbard Family 

Adelaide South Australia

To see other family members click here

A family tree is at 

Family tree

A family tree is also on Ancestry.com at 

http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/57196388/family

Contact please:

Bruce.Hubbard@hubbards.id.au

 

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

COLONISTS

(1) Sailing ship “Olivia” from London/Plymouth 30 July 1853. Arrived Port Adelaide, South Australia 14 November 1853

(2) Sailing ship “Northumberland” from Plymouth 26 September 1863. Arrived Port Adelaide, South Australia 9 January 1864

George Hubbard Snr

1811-1870

Colonist 1853 (1)

Elizabeth Ennifer

1820-1903

Colonist 1853 (1)

George Hubbard Jnr

1843-1901

Colonist 1853 (1)

Helena (Ellen) Edith Day

1846-1938

Colonist 1864 (2)

Arthur George Albert Hubbard 

1865-1903

Ada Magdalene Havard

1870-1941

Walter Henry Hubbard

1889-1969

Florence Elizabeth Harding 

1892-1944

Colin Lance Hubbard

1918-1960

Lucy Maud Pascoe

1919-2006

Bruce Graham Hubbard

Anne Isabel Davey 

James Matthew Hubbard

Penelope (Penny) Claire Hubbard 

Walter Henry Hubbard's Wedding 17 May 1911

Back: Arthur Hubbard (Walter's younger brother) (later to Hubbards Grote Street), Walter, Florence, her brother, Grandmother Martha Havard (Ada Magdalene's mother / Walter's Grandmother), Tom Hubbard (Walter's youngest brother) (later to Hubbards Grote Street, Jack Hubbard's father)

Middle: Ruby Hubbard (Walter's sister), Walter's mother Ada "Maggie" Hubbard (Lear), Alf Lear (Maggie's second husband), Myrtle Hubbard (Walter's sister, married Les Bray)

Front: Edward (Ted) Lear (half-brother to Walter Hubbard, Maggie and Alf's son), Girl (unknown)  

 

Myrtle Hubbard's Wedding to Charles Leslie (Les) Bray in 1921 (Atujara MCC founding member at Hubbards clubrooms Grote Street)

Arthur (Art) Valentine Hubbard - boy on left (Arthur "Mick" Ennifer Hubbard, of Hubbard Motors son), Gordon and Mavis Hubbard (Walter Henry Hubbard's Children).

Myrtle Hubbard is Walter Henry Hubbard's sister.

 

 

Walter Henry Hubbard - speed king 1918

Sellicks Beach speed trials 1918 (Daily Herald 10 May 1918 page 8) 

Dirt track meetings in SA were not held until around 1923.

 

 

Motor Touring and Social Club 1918

Sellicks Beach speed trials 1918

 

Walter Henry Hubbard - 1917

Captain of the Motor Touring and Social Club

The Mail, Adelaide 29 December 1917 page 12

 

Walter Henry Hubbard - 1918

Daily Herald, Adelaide 17 May 1918 page 8 

Walter Henry Hubbard - 1918

The Mail, Adelaide 7 December 1918 page 12 

 

Walter Henry Hubbard - speed king 1924

News, Adelaide 18 February 1924, page 7

 

 

 

Walter Henry Hubbard - speed king 1924, and youngest brother Tom

 

cid:image007.png@01CF1201.6E21A640

 

 

Tom Hubbard - 1924

(The News 24 March 1924 page 7) 

 

 

Hub Motors Limited incorpoprated in 1925.

Brothers Walter Henry Hubbard (Managing Director), Arthur ("Mick") Ennifer Hubbard, Thomas (Tom) George Harold Hubbard, and brother-in-law Charles Leslie Bray, and others.

Capital £30,000 ($10 million today).

The Register 7 October 1925 page 8

Walter Henry Hubbard - Hub Motors Limited, Managing Director

 

 

(The News 14 April 1924 page 8)

 

 

Hub Motors

The original site at 136 Currie Street Adelaide

(The News 21 July 1924 page 8)

 

 

The News 6 November 1925 page 12

 

Hub Motors Limited 

5 sites in Adelaide: 

136 Currie Street

38 East Terrace

176 West Terrace

Cnr Grote and Brown (Morphett) St

200 Hanson Street (422 Pulteney Street)

Shop at 19 Grenfell Street

 

(The News 10 September 1926 page 13)

 

 

Hub Motors Limited

South-west corner of Grote and Brown Street (Morphett Street) 1926

 

 

Petrol Pump Agreement with Walter Henry Hubbard and the Adelaide City Council in September 1925 before incorporation as Hub Motors Ltd.

Corner of 200 Hanson Street (422 Pulteney Street) and Gilles Street, Adelaide:

 

 

Petrol Pumps agreement 200 Hanson street (422 Pulteney Street).

October 1925, between the Adelaide City Council,

and Hub Motors brothers Walter Henry Hubbard, Arthur "Mick" Ennifer Hubbard, Thomas George Harold Hubbard, and brother-in-law Charles Leslie Bray,

and bearing their signatures.

Signatures of brothers Walter Henry Hubbard, Arthur "Mick" Ennifer Hubbard, Thomas George Harold Hubbard, and brother-in-law Charles Leslie Bray.

 

 

Petrol Pumps agreement 200 Hanson street (422 Pulteney Street) for an additional pump at Gilles Street frontage.

February 1926, between the Adelaide City Council, 

and Hub Motors Limited, under their Common Seal and signed by Managing Director Walter Henry Hubbard and Director Arthur Ennifer Hubbard.

Common Seal of Hub Motors Limited and signatures of Managing Director Walter Henry Hubbard, and Director Arthur "Mick" Ennifer Hubbard.

 

 

Free Petrol at 200 Hanson Street (422 Pulteney Street) in 1925

Advertiser 12 November 1925, page 11

 

Free Petrol at 200 Hanson Street (422 Pulteney Street) in 1925

Advertiser 26 November 1925, page 14

 

Hub Motors, market leaders

The News 12 January 1926 page 10

The News 26 October 1926 page 10

Indian and BSA Dealers

Advertiser 11 November 1926, page 6

 

Hub Motors Cup for 1926.

Indian and BSA Motorcycle Club. 

Advertiser 20 January 1927 page 7

 

 

Walter Henry Hubbard - Hub Motors Limited, Managing Director

Departs for Melbourne 1927

 

The News 27 May 1927 page 6

 

Walter Henry Hubbard leases 200 Hanson Street (422 Pulteney Street) 

to their stepfather Alfred Lear on 24 May 1927 prior to Walter's departure to Melbourne

 

CT Vol 523 Folio 192

 

 

cid:image001.png@01CF1BFC.9E815BA0

 

It is believed that the intention was to establish another service station chain in Melbourne.

But that did not eventuate and Hub Motors Limited was wound up.

 

Hub Motors Limited is liquidated 1928

 

Hubbard Motors Limited is incorporated by the remaining brothers in Adelaide in 1927.

Arthur ("Mick") Hubbard, Thomas (Tom) Hubbard and brother-in-law Charles (Les) Bray, and established in Grote Street

(The News 22 December 1927 page 23)

 

 

 

BSA, Indian, and other dealerships are transferred to Grote Street 

T (Tom) Hubbard, M ("Mick") Arthur Hubbard, and L (Charles Les) Bray

(The Advertiser 29 December 1927)

 

Tom Hubbard, Arthur "Mick" Hubbard and Les Bray of Hubbard Motors Limited

The Advertiser 25 June 1929 page 10

cid:image001.png@01CF6C23.BA1D95F0

 

Atujara Motor Cycle Club is established using Hubbard Motors Grote Street premises

(News (Adelaide) 2 August 1930 page 8)

 

 

   

Les Bray - brother-in-law to Hubbards

(The Advertiser 21 January 1932 page 7)

 

 

 

Hubbard Motors in Grote Street, 27 December 1956

 

Hubbards in Grote Street, 19 July 1968, owned by Jack Hubbard, Tom Hubbard's son.

 

Mr Jack Hubbard of Hubbard Motors Ltd and Hubbards discount electrical.

The News 9 August 1951 page 5

 

 

Lear Motors 200 Hanson Street (422 Pulteney Street)

Owned by Colin Hubbard (Walter Henry Hubbard's son) and Edward (Ted) Lear (Walter Henry Hubbard's half-brother, Alf Lear's son).

cid:image001.png@01CF1BFC.9E815BA0

 

In 1949 there were no company sites. Solus trading (single brand sites) began on 15 August 1951 by Shell  

Petroleum Gazette page 25

 

The first company site was built by Ampol at Mosman in Sydney and not until December 1952. 

Petroleum Gazette page 26

 

The following month in January 1953 Ampol was using the Mosman site as their training site.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an24665594  

 

The first company site in South Australia was Ampol at East Parade, Beulah Park, Adelaide, in March 1953

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an24664312

http://www.nla.gov.au/apps/cdview/?pi=nla.pic-an24665633

 

Colin Hubbard on the right, front page of The News, on the old site in 1949 (he rebuilt the site in September 1952/1953)  

Colin Hubbard was already on the Pulteney Street site in 1949 long before solus trading and long before company sites.

Colin Hubbard was on the site in 1941 at the time of his engagement to Lucy and other information suggests long before that working for the family.

(The News 7 June 1949, Page 1. Adelaide afternoon newspaper, extract).

cid:image003.png@01CF1E80.7BE499A0

The NEWS 7 June 1949 page 1. 

Mr Colin Hubbard on the site in 1949.

There were no single brand sites until August 1951.

The first company site in Adelaide was built by Ampol at Beulah Park in March 1953

 

422 Pulteney Street, formerly  200 Hanson Street.

Mr Colin Hubbard. A gentleman. Liked and respected by people all over Adelaide.

These were huge functions, including Santa and pony rides for the children, a beauty contest for the ladies, and there was dancing in the evening in the pavilion.

cid:image001.png@01CF16BD.FF519380

 

Johnny Cadell, click here

Johnny Cadell in Robbery Under Arms, click here

 

After solus trading was introduced by Shell,  Shell offered to upgrade sites at the dealer's expense.

Shell stated that all dealers who traded under their colours would remain independents.

Once Shell had their brand on the sites Shell falsely claimed that they were company sites.

 

 

"Every Shell dealer will remain an independent businessman."

(Advertiser 20 August 1951 page 5) 

  

(The News 12 September 1951)

 

Advertiser 6 December 1952 page 8

 

422 Pulteney Street, formerly  200 Hanson Street

Shell falsely claimed it was a company site

422 Pulteney Street, formerly  200 Hanson Street continues, click here

To see other family members click here